Highlighted achievements at various organizations:
Installations and Evaluations Manager
Columbia, South Carolina
November 2012 – August 2013
- Oversight of two engineer teams, pre and post sales installation services for customers.
- Built a dynamic, results driven team of installations service and evaluations engineers.
- Increased revenue by 400%.
- Developed responsive customer service metrics and improved resolution of customer satisfaction issues by 18%.
- Assisted in development of an engineer training program to include key virtualization, networking and infrastructure certifications.
- Measured and reported team and individual performance.
- Responsible for hiring, management, scheduling and coaching of internal employees and external consultants.
- Developed and communicated company strategy related to expanding the evaluations and installations services programs.
NATO Training Mission
June 2011 — October, 2012
- Developed and delivered an Afghan National Police Training General Command Computer Information Systems (CIS) and Media Support Division.
- Led development of the IT section responsible to the Afghan National Police Training General Command Chairman Office for design, development and delivery of CIS and multimedia capability.
- Developed and delivered a comprehensive computer information systems strategy for the Afghanistan National Police Training General Command.
- Provided multimedia products for Afghanistan National Police Training General Command strategic communications plans and future NATO and International strategic partners.
- Delivered a system to assist in the quantifiable analysis of the conduct of Afghanistan National Police Training General Command curriculum and quality of students.
- Developed and delivered an Afghanistan National Police Training General Command web site (SharePoint).
- Managed Afghanistan National Police Training General Command IT budget and developed lifecycle management plans to ensure sustainment of IT capabilities.
- Developed and ensured compliance to Afghanistan National Police Training General Command and Ministry of Information IT operation and use policies.
- Developed methods and systems to ensure the MOI could provide effective training without contractor support.
- Managed and tracked issues for Department of Defense and Afghan National Police.
- Acted as an advisor and mentor to Afghan National Police Training General Command Information Communications Technology Director.
Director of Information Technology
Senior Systems Administrator
IT Project Manager
June 2004 — December 2010
- Lead project manager/systems and infrastructure architect during explosive growth. Successfully integrated three new remote business units into the network.
- Planned, implemented and maintained a Citrix server farm that began as six standalone machines serving approximately 150 clients published desktops. This scenario was replaced with a more efficient model wherein 400+ clients were receiving individually published applications as needed in a virtualized Xenapp environment resulting in 55% bandwidth savings, reduced CPU loads, improved user experience and better security accountability.
- Virtualized server infrastructure and built out redundant data centers at two regional sites.
- Developed and implemented disaster recovery plan. Implemented failover testing and data recovery drills.
- Responsible for annual IT budget of $2+ million.
- Implemented Numara Track-It! Help Desk and Asset Management software and resolved 600-1000 issues per month using SLAs.
- Coordinated migration of accounting data from legacy AIX (COINs) application to Microsoft SQL based ERP (Viewpoint Construction Software).
- Initiated, planned, executed, monitored and controlled the inception of Microsoft SharePoint to replace numerous inefficient filing systems resulting in 3 terabyte reduction in storage, and improved intra and inter office communications.
- Responsible for LAN/WAN planning, bandwidth assessment, quality assurance, and all IT infrastructure at seven regional offices (frequent on-site visits).
- Seven direct reports including IT administrators, DBA, IT coordinator and help desk staff.
- Led a team that maintained more than 60 virtual and physical Windows, Linux and AIX servers.
- Maintained and ensured 24/7 server uptime. This included monitoring, patching, and upgrading software and components when needed using risk management matrix and published maintenance schedule.
- Managed 2003/2008 mixed-mode Active Directory, Group Policy oversight. • Windows Exchange 2007/2010 environments, including Desktop Authority to ensure security and AD policy compliance.
- Implemented and maintained RIM (Blackberry) server.
- Symantec Backup Exec (11D) and VM snapshotting used for backups.
- Deployed and maintained virtual machines as needed.
- Setup and managed WSUS server.
- Monitored Network Antivirus (Trend Micro, VIPRE). Developed outbreak containment policies.
- Setup, configured and maintained IBM H Series Blade Servers at multiple sites.
- Setup, configured and maintained EMC and Dell EqualLogic SANs at multiple sites.
- Maintained more than 500 workstations and laptops.
- Windows XP and 7 managed desktop environment (using Desktop Authority).
- Monitored routers, switches, and firewalls for resource or hardware issues.
- Cisco Routers – 2811, 2800, 2600, 1721, 1711/Cisco Switches – 4500, 4506, 2900, 3560
- Filtered and monitored the enterprise’s Internet access using Websense.
- Used Riverbed Steelheads to optimize WAN traffic resulting in 80% bandwidth savings.
- Implemented Postini (Google) spam filtering reducing spam by 98%.
- Mirrored critical systems, applications and data across WAN to remote site for disaster recovery (5 terabytes).
- Improved help desk response times by 60% and user satisfaction rose from “moderately satisfied” to “extremely satisfied.”
- Coordinated all system maintenance and planned infrastructure upgrades with regional office and corporate stakeholders, using a published schedule to keep users informed.
- Creative with vendor relationship management and aggressive negotiating cost savings resulting in low IT overhead (less than 2% of revenue).
- E-commerce web site development using LAMP stack and Joomla CMS/VirtueMart.
Project manager/web architect/photojournalist
(National Guard deployment)
U.S. Army, Multi-National Force, Iraq, Combined Press Information Center
November 2005 — November 2006
- Planned and developed a content management framework for Multi-National Force, Iraq website to distribute press releases, news stories and video content on behalf of the Commanding General.
- Coordinated with Army webmaster in Washington, D.C. and PHP developer in Bangalore, India to move the project forward.
- Pentagon began using open-source PHP CMS frameworks based on success of the project.
- Trained military and civilian staff on use of Joomla CMS backend.
- Gathered and briefed site metrics to public affairs command elements in Baghdad.
- Managed SEO and social media presence for MNFI.
- Completed photojournalism assignments throughout the theater of operations on behalf of MNFI.
Aviation Constructors, Inc.
February 1998 — February 2004
- Developed in-house bid system resulting in improved subcontractor responses to RFP/RFQ solicitations.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of organizational marketing materials.
- Managed marketing and information technology budget proposals.
- Responsible for oversight of all requests for bid/request for proposal submittals.
- Implemented e-mail server (Mdaemon/Alt-N).
- Responsible for all help desk, hardware and software troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Supported 150 users around the United States.
- Responsible for on-site visits to job sites to support connectivity, routing and information security.
Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
United States Marine Corps
December 1992 — December 1996
- Completed up to four photojournalism assignments per week for The Boot, a local weekly publication
- Responsible for design and layout of The Boot using QuarkXPress.
- Edited and fact checked news copy of junior correspondents to improve overall quality and accuracy of reporting.